Caged bird background

Monday 4 April 2011

20 Films that make up a Hazel

1) Labyrinth

"Give me the child. Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City to take back the child that you have stolen. For my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom is as great. You have no power over me" - Sarah




Yeah its 80's so instantly a bit naff but it has David Bowie and muppets and singing and David Bowie and its by Jim Henson and did i mention David Bowie.

I freaking excellent film that was on repeat so much in my house im surprised i havent worn a hole through it. It has since been replaced by a DVD copy.

2) The Never Ending Story

Again another 80's film with a strange cast of puppets and a strange plot. Basically the "nothing" a big black cloud is going to swallow the land because not enough people believe anymore. One of those films thats always on around christmas/new year. And i had a thing for Atreyu (Pictured) when i was 10. And when artex sinks in the swamps of sadness, sniff =[

3) Pocahontas


This was the first film i saw in the cinema when i was about four. Amazing music, amazing animation, amazing characters and probably still my favourite disney film..

4) The last unicorn

"Your name is a golden bell hung in my heart. I would break my body to pieces to call you once by your name"

Ok so the 80's films arent over yet. Those films you find when your channel hooping and you never stop watching. I saw this when i was about 11 and remember thinking it was a bit mental. Saw it again not long ago before going to work one day so i missed the end but its a truely beautiful film.

5) Land before time


Havent seen this in years but there's a bit with them being chased through a cave and i remember finding it somewhat terrifying. I would love to watch it again but worried it might ruin the childhood memories

6) An American Tale: Fieval goes west


I thought everyone know about this little mouse until i mentioned it on a train one day and everyone looked at me blankly. (8) Rolling rolling, rolling, raw hide (8)

7) Jurassic Park


When i saw this film when i was younger it scared the living daylights out of me. When theyre in the car in the rain and the goat gets put in the pen and then you dont know where the t-rex is and then it eats the guy on the loo. Pant wetting stuff for a 6 year old.

8) Terminator 2


One of those old VHS my dad produced on a night when my mum was out with her friends in my younger years.

9) 1408


To date probably the scariest film i have ever seen. No power on earth would get me watching this myself in the dark. Ive tried re-watching it and have only ever managed to get to the point where he stands outside the room about to go in, not a good sign.

10) Loose Change


Everyone should see this once in their life. A truely unique view of one of the biggest tragedies humanity has even encountered.

11) The bridge

When I talked to the highway patrolman, I asked him "Is this a rare occurrence or does this happen a lot?" And he looked and me and he sort of smiled and he said, "It happens all the time."



An eye-opening tale of how people meet their maker on their own terms.

I don't know why people kill themselves. And yet, it's a small step to empathize... to say... well, because I think we all experience moments of despair. That, ah, it would be so much easier not to do this anymore. But for most of us, the sun comes out, and then "Oh well, Tomorrow is another day". Why he chose the Bridge? I don't know. Maybe there was a certain amount of release from pain, by pain. Maybe he just wanted to fly one time.

12) Up


The last film i saw in the cinema that made me cry. A slightly different direction for pixar to take but an inspired one.

13) Miss Congeniality


Pretty sure this might have been my first ever DVD and definetly was the first 12 i owned. A cooler choice could not be found lol. I just loved the whole film and micheal caine is a cracker in it.

14) United 93


An insiders perspective of 9/11 that is truely moving. It seeks not to over act what happened, to create a flashy box office movie but instead to make sure the heroic efforts of the men and women abroad united 93 will never be forgotten.

15) Step Up


A romeo and julliet sort of film from the modern age. Shows how where you come from does not define you. A touching film about overcoming adversity and achieving your dreams. Plus it has Channing Tatum in it, yum yum.

16) Scream


One of the first horrors i saw, about 4 years after it was cool. My friend fell off the bed. Was a good night.
Cant believe they're bringing out a scream 4 - NOSTALGIA !!

17) (500) Days of Summer


Theres a previous blog all about how much i love this film. Pretty much love it cause it shows what love can be not the boy meets girl, boy loves girl, girl loves boy, happy ever after.

18) Chicago


Sparked my love of musicals. Watched it4 times on a trans-atlantic flight. Just has an amazing feel to it and a great soundtrack to belt out when no one else is in.

19) Ed Byrne: A Different Class


Possibly my favourite comedian, never fails to make me smile what ever he does.

20) Shrek 2


Most quotable film ever. Everytime you watch it you spot a new thing in the background. Wonderful voice talent. An alternative fair tale. A rare occurance where the sequal is better than the original.

Fin

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog